Victoria Falls is a destination that is sought after by lots of tourists heading to Africa as it is home to one of the seven natural wonders of the world as well as one of the best locations in the world for adrenaline activities. The local political unrest and the general economical issues that Zimbabwe are currently facing means a little extra forward planning is required to ensure you have the best time possible during your stay so thee tips for visiting Victoria Falls should help you out.
Below are a few items to think about and plan ahead with before you make your way to the home of one of the biggest waterfalls in the world. Enjoy these hints for Victoria Falls and have less stress when arriving.
Tips for visiting Victoria Falls:
- Make sure you have your money sorted before you arrive in Victoria Falls as the country almost literally has no money in the economy, thanks to some shady political work. Booking tours with a credit card or bank card is possible when in Victoria falls but booking larger trips ahead of time is also a good tip.
- The country uses American Dollars and not its own currency. (this has recently changed but the country is in a state of change over)
- Haggle and barter when purchasing souvenir items. As with a lot of places, the price they first give you probably needs to be halved or thereabouts. It is expected so don’t feel shy.
- Avoid walking in unlit streets after dark. Grab a taxi if heading to a restaurant I have suggested out of the main street area.
- Travel where possible in higher numbers after dark, if in larger groups it is possible to walk together instead of grabbing multiple taxis.
- You will need to get the Kaza visa on entry into Zimbabwe if you intend to do the Devil’s Pool trip during your stay. The actual Devil’s pool visit will involve you going over to the Zambezian side of the river to enter. The Kaza visa is a single visa that allows entry into both Zimbabwe and Zambezi for a total of 30 days. This costs less money and takes less time than applying for 2 single entry visas for each country. One of the best forward planning tips for visiting Victoria Falls in this list.
- The Falls can be very hard to see from the ground during the wet season or during periods of high flow in the river due to high levels of mist generated on impact from the Falls. The best option to view the Falls during these times is to book a scenic flight. Find out the best time to visit Victoria Falls.
- No need to pay for a guided tour of the Falls. The path is very well marked and easy to negotiate around. There are also information boards at the start entrance explaining how the Falls come about. Find more information on visiting Victoria Falls now.
- The area of the bridge that goes over the Zambezi River is called “no man’s land” it effectively means you’re no longer in Zimbabwe but haven’t yet entered Zambezi. You are free to walk to and over this bridge even if you haven’t purchased the Kaza visa. This way you can complete bungy jumping, bridge swing or flying fox without any issues. You will need your passport to show though on your way through, so have it with you. Fancy doing some activities while in Victoria Falls, find out the best adrenaline activities to get your heart pumping.
- Do the “White-Water Rafting”. It is known as the “best grade 5 rapids in the world” so be sure not to skip this. Read all about my experience on this trip here or find out everything you need to know about rafting the Zambezi River.
- Visit Chobe National Park or another of the parks closer to Victoria Falls. Find out which park will suit you best.
- Find all of the available tours in Victoria Falls and see which ones suit you.
I hope these hints for Victoria Falls will enable you to have an amazing time while visiting. If you are requiring extra advice on what to see or do while in the area I have you covered with a lot of information found throughout this website. I have a Victoria Falls section as well as Cape Town and a general Africa section that will ensure you have all the info you need for your amazing trip.
Find the best safari options and which companies to travel with or feel free to get in contact with me or make a comment in the section below this blog.
Organise Your Trip: Travel Advice and Tricks I Personally Use
Book Your Flight
Heading to either Skyscanner or Momondo are my methods of choice for this. They are my favourite as they search flights from different companies all over the world. You can filter the results to suit your needs and ensure you land the best price every-time.
Book Your Accommodation
This is an important part of any holiday you’re going on. Read all the reviews and get the right accommodation via TripAdvisor. They even show you the best prices available at the time for that room from suppliers like Booking.com.For booking a hostel your best bet is to start with HostelWorld or possible even use CouchSurfing if you’re on a real budget.
Recommended Accommodation in Victoria Falls:
- The best-valued accommodation option in Victoria Falls is without a doubt Shearwater’s Explorers Village
- See other top-rated hotels in Victoria Falls
Don’t Forget Travel Insurance
Travel Insurance is a must these days so you have a piece of mind you’re covered for anything that could go wrong while on your trip. I now never go on a trip away without travel insurance. I’ve been using World Nomads for the past few years.
My favourite companies that offer the best service and value are:
- World Nomads (little more expensive but covers everything)
- SafetyWing (cheaper option to just cover you for health issues)
Looking for the best companies to save money with?
As I have been travelling frequently over the last few years I’ve learnt some great tools to use for saving money when travelling. I have a travel resource page that lists all the trusted companies I personally use and rely on. I think you will find them good as well.
The Best Place To Book Your Tours
If you are someone you likes to have the best tours in one place and read reviews from other travellers about their personal experiences of each different tour then the best platform to use is GetYourGuide.
They offer the best tours, have money-back offers in case your trip is cancelled and ensure the price of each tour is the lowest possible.
Other posts that might interest you:
If you made it this far, chances are you have enjoyed this post, please SHARE, TWEET or PIN IT. Thank you
Subscribe and be notified when I publish new content
Please feel free to follow me along my travels via my Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest, YouTube or Twitter pages where you can learn some great tips for travelling cheaper. Also, be sure to subscribe to my page to find out when fresh content is published.
Latest Blog Posts:
- Death Valley National Park – The complete travel itinerary for your visit
- Packing Up And Moving Away Has Never Been Easier
- A Fun Holiday That’s Still Relaxing: Can It Be Done?
- Unforgettable Fishing at Cape Town in 5 Easy Steps – Chase the fish of your dreams
- Budget travel with Busabout – Step-by-Step review of how they operate